Poker edition: Day 3 Never give up, never give in!

Hello everyone welcome to the poker edition!

Today an unexpected session and a battle for profits!





So yesterday I was only planning to play in a couple of freeroll tournaments I was in and not the cash game grind however I busted out of my freerolls fairly early and wanted to keep playing.

I loaded up two tables of 2nl and begun the grind.

I shortly found myself down nearly 2 and a half buyins. I got my aces all in preflop against 88 who hit a set, my queens lost out to J10, I 3bet a short stack and run my 99 into AA and my AJ was out out kicked by AQ at showdown. This was all within 30 minutes. Not the best start to a session.

I did not want to give up though! Even after having a terrible 30 minutes I didn't think I was on tilt, if anything I was quite the opposite. I was focused and determined to grind my money back.

3 hours later and after 1345 hands.... the bankroll..... WAS BACK IN THE GREEN!

That's right I managed to grind it all back with a little bit extra on top!

I ended the session $0.29 up nothing spectacular but considering at one point in the session I was down $4.72 a definite achievement.

So lets take a look at the graph for the session



And now the full graph so far

 

I feel a lot of my bigger losing hands aren't that interesting and the loss wasn't due to a mistake. For example I had the 2nd nut flush twice and lost out to the nut flush and twice I hit a set and lost out to a flush.

One of the hands which I could of maybe turned into a winning hand is being dealt Ace King suited and playing it against Queens. Here is the hand history and my thoughts on the hand.



Table Information
Seat1:   Player 1   ($2)Dealer
Seat2:   Player 2   ($2)Small Blind
Seat4:   Hero   ($5.45)Big Blind
Seat6:   Player 6   ($0.48)
Seat7:   Player 7   ($2)
Seat9:   Player 9   ($2.03)
Dealt to Hero

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 6   CALL    $0.02
Player 7   FOLD    
Player 9   RAISE    $0.09
Player 1   FOLD    
Player 2   FOLD    
Hero   CALL    $0.07
Player 6   CALL    $0.07

A nice hand but I was trying to not build pots out of position especially with 2 more people to act. In hindsight i could of 3bet this hand really.

Flop   (Pot: $0.28)

Hero   CHECK    
Player 6   CHECK    
Player 9   BET    $0.14
Hero   CALL    $0.14
Player 6   FOLD    

I hit the king on the flop so I think I'm now ahead a good percentage of the time. I check and let the villain bluff at it. Villain bets and I call. I think here I should of check raised, the board has over cards on it and also a flush draw I should try and take control of the pot now.

Turn   (Pot: $0.56)

Hero   CHECK    
Player 9   BET    $0.28
Hero   CALL    $0.28

I decide to check call again. If I was ahead on the flop I'm most likely still ahead now. The turn does bring another flush draw. I think betting out here would of been better especially if I had of check raised on the previous street.

River   (Pot: $1.12)

Hero   CHECK    
Player 9   BET    $0.56
Hero   CALL    $0.56

I check call again. The Queen has hit and more of his range now beats me but I think a lot of the time I still win this pot.

Showdown:

Player 9  SHOWS
Hero  MUCKS
Player 9  wins the pot: $2.24


I was up against Queens and was in front all the way to the river. I played the hand passively and let him get there. I think I should of been more aggressive and try to get him to lay his hand down.



Now I want to do something different rather than just showing my losing hands I want to take a look at a winning hand and see if I could of extracted any more value from the hand or if I played it right at all.

In this hand I was dealt pocket nines in the big blind on a very wet board.

Table Information
Seat1:   Player 1   ($2.75)Dealer
Seat2:   Player 2   ($0.37)Small Blind
Seat4:   Hero   ($2.35)Big Blind
Seat6:   Player 6   ($2.82)
Seat7:   Player 7   ($0.35)
Seat9:   Player 9   ($2)
Dealt to Hero

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 6   FOLD    
Player 7   FOLD    
Player 9   FOLD    
Player 1   RAISE    $0.07
Player 2   CALL    $0.06
Hero   CALL    $0.05

Once again I could of 3bet this but I was trying to keep the pots small when out of position . 3betting could of been the right choice here though.

Flop   (Pot: $0.21)

Player 2   CHECK    
Hero   CHECK    
Player 1   CHECK    

So I hit my set and even though the flop is very connected I think I am ahead here a lot of the time with only kings and aces beating me. I check to allow the preflop raiser to stab at it. I could of bet out here as I think alot of the range of the button and small blind hits something here, so betting would increase the size of the pot which I think I'm ahead in.

Turn   (Pot: $0.21)

Player 2   BET    $0.02
Hero   CALL    $0.02
Player 1   FOLD    

So it checks through on the flop and another big card comes down the Jack. This just adds more outs for villain to beat us but I'm fairly confident I still have the best hand. The small blind now decides to min bet, this is something that I briefly spoke about in my first video, I don't know what the min bet is trying to accomplish or represent. I should of put in a raise here to really test him and add value to the pot.

River   (Pot: $0.25)

Player 2   BET    $0.02
Hero   CALL    $0.02

And now the Queen hits just increasing the amount of combinations that beat me and I am wary of the straight. Villain decides to min bet again and I call. There is a case for raising here but if I raise and he calls on this board the chances are he calls me with better. I put in roughly what I think his range is in the situation into pokerstove and I have 55% equity here, when I put in what I think his range would be to call a raise on the river my equity drops to 46% so I don't think there is much value in raising in this situation. So against a min bet I could raise but overall I think calling in the situation is the right play.

Showdown:

Player 2  SHOWS
Hero  SHOWS
Hero  wins the pot: $0.25

So villain shows King Queen once it checked through on the flop I can understand him taking a stab with his paired King and Queen kicker, he may no longer be scared of the ace. Then on the river he hits his two pair and still min bets, maybe he is also scared of a straight? This just goes to show that min bets aren't always done with nothing and to play cautiously against them. 

I think I could of extracted more value with a raise on the turn in this hand other than that I don't think there are many plays I could of done to extract value.

I think that about wraps up this edition.

I will be posting up more results from day 4 and hopefully an accompanying video later on today.

If you have any thoughts be they positive,construct criticism or just stopping by to say hi then please leave them in the comment section.

See you next time!

Lil Kid Big City

0 comments:

Post a Comment