Poker Edition: Day 31- Listen Jack we need to talk.


Hello everybody and welcome to the poker edition!

Today we are taking a look at a hand that has caused a lot of trouble. Jacks.




Update

Before we jump into today's main topic lets take a little look at how I have been doing.
At the last check in I had just begun to climb out of a downswing and was making big changes to my game.


Graph since last update




Graph in full



So as you can see there is finally some progress and I have nearly climbed back out of the negative figures and into the green once again! I'm feeling fairly confident that I can beat this level and that soon I will eliminate the last few leaks and begin to crush!



Analysis

When playing I often am not sure how to continue with pocket pairs. I often feel that players will float or cbet flops and I will feel obliged to throw away my pocket pair thinking I'm beat and they have the Ace or King or whatever card it is that is higher than mine on the board. People talk about calling with pocket pairs being profitable because when you hit your set you can stack someone. I didn't think that this was necessarily true, I mean sure I win the pot the majority of the time but often people will fold to any sort of pressure and it takes a very specific condition for me to get it all in and get paid when I hit my set.

I decided to do a bit of investigating on my pocket pairs and see just how profitable they were, what I found surprised me.
Jacks are a losing hand for me and I'm not just talking a little bit I have lost nearly 7 buy ins playing my jacks. Now this may be a common thing but it shocked me. How could my jacks be losing! Two paired face cards pre flop that's a recipe for success right?.......right!?

The problem with Jacks (and I often find the same problem with Queens) Is that they are not quite average but I wouldnt class them as a powerhouse. For me there seems to be a clear line in the sand. If someone raised all in preflop and I looked down and saw Aces Sweet! Kings all right I win here a lot and the all of a sudden Queens eurgh a slight grimace crosses my face, Jacks I'm shaking my fist at the gods.

Going on that I thought I would take a look at my top 10 losing hands with Jacks and see if I had been overplaying them. What I discovered then confused me even more! Of my top 10 biggest losing hands with Jacks I always had a set or better or there was no card higher than J on the board. 3 cracked full houses, 3 cracked sets am I really overplaying these? If I'm not willing to get it all in with full houses and sets then what!? I'm not sure if this is variance that I have run into all these hands or Jacks just simply aren't that strong even if you think they are.

I will definitely be playing a lot more cautiously with Jacks now. If someone shoves into me with my quad Jacks I will have to seriously consider folding (joke clearly). In the future I will not be over committing my Jacks that's for sure be aggressive with them but be ready to throw them away if the board or play becomes suspicious.


Thats all for today!

Thanks for checking in.

If you have any comments please leave them below.

See you next time!

LilKidBigCity
@lilkidbigcity

0 comments:

Post a Comment