Poker Edition: Day 6 - The end of a golden era .... or is it?

Hello everybody welcome to the Poker Edition!

Today we encounter our first dip below 0 for a while.





If you haven't already then please watch the video for this session here






Now that you've seen that you know whats happened ... our first losing session .... sigh ...

Well actually no!
I continued to play off camera and managed to run it up to a delicious profit of $2.76!!!

That's an extra buy in for us!

I tried to keep my focus and maintain strong play and I maximized the profit on my winning hands while minimizing my losses and keeping out of tricky spots with my losing hands.

So all in all another day of green! Let's take a look at the updated graph with the additional hands.




Now lets take a look at the graph with all of our sessions so far.





So the analysis section of today's blog I want to evaluate three hands and whether or not I made the right plays. Firstly I'm going to look at the hand that lost us the most money the Ace Queen hand.



Table Information
Seat1:   Player 1   ($1.80)Dealer
Seat2:   Player 2   ($2.24)Small Blind
Seat4:   Player 4   ($1.15)Big Blind
Seat6:   Player 6   ($0.87)
Seat7:   Hero   ($3.22)
Seat9:   Player 9   ($2.40)
Dealt to Hero
AdQs dealt to us in middle position easy open

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 6   FOLD    
Hero   RAISE    $0.05
Player 9   FOLD    
Player 1   FOLD    
Player 2   RAISE    $0.24
Player 4   FOLD    
Hero   CALL    $0.19

Now the button decides to 3bet us. I don't think we should fold here and I don't think that this hand is good enough to four bet with so I think calling is the right option.

Flop   (Pot: $0.51)

Player 2   BET    $0.25
Hero   CALL    $0.25

We hit top pair top kicker on the flop; there is a flush draw on the board. Obviously not folding in this spot, We could argue for a raise here as at this point we are only beaten by 99,QQ,AA and KK as I don't think villain would be 3betting with 33.

Turn   (Pot: $1.01)

Player 2   BET    $0.50
Hero   FOLD    

The turn brings the King of hearts and the villain donks half pot into us again. The turn bought the flush in and a scare card for our queen. I have no previous reads on villain so this is the range I have assigned to the villain in the circumstances.


Assuming this is villains range in this spot we have 40% equity. This means folding here is actually the wrong decision in terms of EV. Calling would be a +$0.30 ev play in this situation given the villains range and bet amounts. So we made the wrong decision here by folding. Our equity wouldn't of changed that much unless a J or a Heart comes off on the river.


Showdown:

Player 2  MUCKS

Player 2  wins the pot: $1.51



Now lets look at the Ace King hand where I folded on the flop.


Table Information
Seat1:   Player 1   ($0.37)Dealer
Seat2:   Player 2   ($0.84)Small Blind
Seat4:   Hero   ($2.16)Big Blind
Seat6:   Player 6   ($0.56)
Seat7:   Player 7   ($2.54)
Seat9:   Player 9   ($0.79)
Dealt to Hero

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 6   FOLD    
Player 7   RAISE    $0.07
Player 9   FOLD    
Player 1   CALL    $0.07
Player 2   FOLD    
Hero   RAISE    $0.29
Player 7   CALL    $0.22
Player 1   FOLD    

Middle position opens I decide to 3bet with my premium hand.

Flop   (Pot: $0.68)

Hero   CHECK    
Player 7   BET    $0.49
Hero   FOLD    

I didn't hit any of the flop and check to villain who then bets strongly into the pot. I thought I was probably up against a pocket pair and as I was out of position I would be asked a question on almost any turn card if I checked to the villain; I had 6 outs and some of those may be tainted, so I decided to fold. Now lets see if that was the right decision.

 Again there are no real reads on the villain so I assigned him this rough range.



Up against this range we have 53% equity which once again makes the call a +$0.30 ev play. So again I made fold when technically the correct ev play was to call.

Showdown:

Player 7  MUCKS

Player 7  wins the pot: $1.17
Finally I want to look at the call I made with the Aces I wasn't sure whether it was the right call or not so lets look at the hand.



Table Information
Seat1:   Player 1   ($0.82)Dealer
Seat2:   Hero   ($2.08)Small Blind
Seat4:   Player 4   ($0.73)Big Blind
Seat6:   Player 6   ($2.38)
Seat7:   Player 7   ($0.41)
Seat9:   Player 9   ($1.43)
Dealt to Hero

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 6   FOLD    
Player 7   FOLD    
Player 9   FOLD    
Player 1   FOLD    
Hero   RAISE    $0.06
Player 4   CALL    $0.04

Flop   (Pot: $0.13)

Hero   BET    $0.06
Player 4   CALL    $0.06

I bet out at this flop as it had paired and there was a flush draw and I didn't want to let the villain check behind to reach any draw or hit a pair and I wanted to increase the value of the pot with what I thought was the best hand.

Turn   (Pot: $0.25)

Hero   BET    $0.18
Player 4   ALL-IN    $0.61
Hero   CALL    $0.43

The turn comes off a Five of diamonds which I think is a brick to both players. I bet to once again increase the value of the pot with my premium hand however then the villain re raises all in. I feel I may have walked into a set or better. I wasn't sure whether making the call was the right decision. This is the range I think villain would shove on this card with that would of made it this far and played this way, for example I didn't include Kings as I believe they would 3bet me preflop and I didn't include 92 off because I believe they would of folded preflop.


Up against that range we have 60% equity making the call a +$0.34 ev call.
So this was the correct call to make and the only I got right out of the three!

River   (Pot: $1.47)


Showdown:

Hero  SHOWS
Player 4  SHOWS
Hero  wins the pot: $1.47

Even though all these plays are +ev I might not of won the hand but that's not the point I should be trying to play as +ev as possible all the time unless I get a super strong read. For example I had Ace Jack in a hand and flopped top two pair I cbet and the villain raised me of course I called and then when I cbet again on the brick turn card he folded I saw him do this a couple of times so when the flop came ace high another time I cbet and he raised me again even though I hit nothing on the board I called because on the turn I bet and he folded. This is a read I picked up so even though it may not have been a technical +ev play it was because of my read.

In summary I think I'm playing with scared money a little bit and not willing to play big pots. If the first two pots were not 3bet and smaller I would of probably called the villian cbets as they would have smaller. This is not correct thinking as calling for half pot on Nine Queen Three King board with Ace Queen in a $5 pot is the exact same as calling half pot on the same board in a $0.50 pot.

That does it for todays edition!

If you have any thoughts be they positive,construct criticism or just stopping by to say hi then please leave them in the comment section.

See you next time!

Lil Kid Big City

www.facebook.com/lilkidbigcity
Follow me on twitter @lilkidbigcity

Youtube.com/lilkidbigcity

0 comments:

Post a Comment