Poker fish to poker legend!

Hello everyone!

Setting out the plans for my poker adventure!





For one of my first projects I have chosen poker!

I had always known of poker and the basics of how to play but had never really payed any attention to it or played it for real money.


In december of 2013 I began for one reason or another to take a more serious interest in it.

As a result I have decided to challenge myself to become a better poker player!

If you havnt already please watch watch my video introduction and first session of poker here:


Watched it?

Great!

So as you can tell from watching that video I'm a rookie, not much experience at all apart from reading some articles and watching youtube videos of poker.

The first session ended in a loss! Shocking I know!

I never expected to win money straight away as this is a big learning curve and there is lots of things I need to improve on.

In the session I lost around the $3.50 mark with the buy in being $2 however I came back a little later and manged to make back an earth shattering $0.33.

Here is the graph for the end of the day including the extra session.


I want to go over a couple of hands that gave us trouble in that session.


The first hand

Table Information
Seat1:   Player 1   ($1.94)Dealer
Seat2:   Player 2   ($1.93)Small Blind
Seat4:   Player 4   ($1.25)Big Blind
Seat6:   Player 6   ($0.43)
Seat7:   Player 7   ($0.63)
Seat9:   Hero   ($2.55)
Dealt to Hero

As stated in the video I like to open my suited aces as they pay off when the flush comes in.

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 6   FOLD    
Player 7   FOLD    
Hero   RAISE    $0.05
Player 1   FOLD    
Player 2   FOLD    
Player 4   CALL    $0.03

Flop   (Pot: $0.11)

Player 4   CHECK    
Hero   BET    $0.05
Player 4   CALL    $0.05

We hit two pair and the villain checks to us, I want to increase the size of the pot with my good hand so I bet out 1/2 pot.

Turn   (Pot: $0.21)

Player 4   CHECK    
Hero   BET    $0.15
Player 4   CALL    $0.15

The queen comes down and the villain checks to us again, AQ could be in the villains flatting range but I'm not that scared and still think I have the best hand so I bet.

River   (Pot: $0.51)

Player 4   ALL-IN    $1

Now another diamond comes and the player bombs all-in, we are now in a tough spot as I believed we had the best hand up until this point. I never put the villain on a diamond flush draw but it appears that is what he is now representing. I think here when he bombs on the river I have a tough choice he is obviously saying he has a flush but i decide to pay him off anyway. I could of saved myself here and lay the hand down.

Hero   CALL    $1

Showdown:

Player 4  SHOWS
Hero  SHOWS
Player 4  wins the pot: $2.51

He had the flush and we lost here when we could of found a fold on the river.

For the second hand

Table Information
Seat1:   Player 1   ($0.65)Dealer
Seat2:   Player 2   ($4.13)Small Blind
Seat4:   Player 4   ($0.66)Big Blind
Seat6:   Player 6   ($2.08)
Seat7:   Player 7   ($1.57)
Seat9:   Hero   ($2)
Dealt to Hero

We had a limper and I had a decent hand so I wanted to isolate him so I rose the pot.

Preflop (Pot:0.03)
Player 6   CALL    $0.02
Player 7   FOLD    
Hero   RAISE    $0.09
Player 1   FOLD    
Player 2   CALL    $0.08
Player 4   FOLD    
Player 6   FOLD    

The limper ended up folding and the small blind calling.

Flop   (Pot: $0.22)

Player 2   CHECK    
Hero   BET    $0.11
Player 2   RAISE    $0.22
Hero   CALL    $0.11

He checked into me so I c-bet and then he min check raises me. This should of been a fold but I thought it was such a weak check raise that I decided to continue.

Turn   (Pot: $0.66)

Player 2   BET    $0.10
Hero   CALL    $0.10

He then bet $0.10 into a $0.66 pot I felt that it was such a weak bet and I didn't believe he had any kind of hand. I could of raised it here myself but I decided to just call and see if my flush draw hit as I was getting such a great price.

River   (Pot: $0.86)

Player 2   BET    $0.20
Hero   CALL    $0.20

My flush draw comes in and he bets small again so I call.

Showdown:

Player 2  SHOWS
Hero  MUCKS
Player 2  wins the pot: $1.26

He had us the whole way. I should of just folded as soon as he check raised. This is a lesson I need to learn, check raises usually mean strength. 

A player I met on a poker forum (heyitsclay) discussed this concept more indepth than I have, if you want to check out his post on flop raises then go here! Raises on the flop by Heyitsclay.

If I had played these hands better and my day would of been a winning one. In just two hands I could of gone from a negative to a positive.

I am glad we learned these lessons early though and are ready to take on our next session!

Every time I play I will eliminate all these small mistakes (leaks) and turn myself into a winning player!

I hope you enjoyed the video and the thought process behind these hands. 

If you have any thoughts be they positive,construct criticism or just stopping by to say hi then please leave them in the comment section.

See you next time!

Lil Kid Big City

0 comments:

Post a Comment